Changing Labor Dynamics: Restructuring and Job Loss
Businesses are restructuring and this is resulting in layoffs("job displacement.") This is affecting workers across the board, whether laborers or executives. This is also called "unemployment." The impact of unemployment is that people have less money to spend on all kinds of goods and services including.
Concepts of Section as Found in "Real World"
H.R. 1385, otherwise known as "The Workforce Investment Act of 1998" was passed by the 105th Congress for the purpose of dealing with the changes caused by the major shift in the United States business scene.
The opening of the act says that its purpose is to "consolidate, coordinate, and improve employment, training, literacy, and vocational rehabilitation programs in the United States, and for other purposes" (H.R. 1385). This is an official recognition of what the Government calls "dislocated worker" and what the authors of the book call "Victim of job displacement."
The act defines its terms thus: A dislocated worker is an individual who--
* has been terminated or laid off, or who has received a notice of termination or layoff, from employment;
* is eligible for or has exhausted entitlement to unemployment compensation; or
* has been employed for a duration sufficient to demonstrate, to the appropriate entity at a one-stop center...attachment to the workforce, but is not eligible for unemployment compensation due to insufficient earnings or having performed services for an employer that were not covered under a State unemployment compensation law;
* is unlikely to return to a previous industry or occupation;
* has been terminated or laid off, or has received a notice of termination or layoff, from employment as a result of any permanent closure of, or any substantial layoff at, a plant, facility, or enterprise;
* is employed at a facility at which the employer has made a general an...
The Economic Overview of Women, Men and York. (1969, December 31). In LotsofEssays.com. Retrieved 22:24, August 04, 2015, from http://www.collegetermpapers.com/viewpaper/1303585645.html