This is the strategy of giving each particular reading assignment a purpose. In this regard, the authors note that existing research has well established that both the rate and the depth of comprehension of a particular reading passage will vary with the purpose given for reading the passage. Thus, purpose can be used by teachers to facilitate content learning of text material.
With respect to the foregoing, Blanton, Wood and Moorman (1990) recommend several basic purpose strategies, noting, however, that while the teacher provides students with the purpose associated with a particular passage of text, a subsidiary learning function here is that students are learning how to assign their own purposes to reading. The six recommended purposes for text reading discussed by the authors are:
1. Having students read the text assignment for the purpose of updating their existing knowledge in the area.
2. Having students read the text assignment for the purpose of either confirming or disconfirming some prediction about what is covered in the text.
3. Having students read the text assignment for the purpose of learning about the structure of the text itself, e.g. its organizational scheme, its use of headings and subheadings, etc.
4. Having students read the text in order to apply a particular reading strategy and understand how the technique works when one is actually reading a book.
5. Having students read a text assignment for the purpose of pleasure.
6. Having students read a text assignment for the purpose of applying information obtained in the text, e.g., reading about first aid techniques and then putting bandages on other students.
Blanton et. al (1990) also recommend that teachers stick to one single purpose per text assignment as poor readers will often have difficulty monitoring their reading when they must simultaneously attend to multiple purposes. It is further cautioned that care must be taken to make...
Texts Used as an Aid in Helping Students. (1969, December 31). In LotsofEssays.com. Retrieved 04:35, December 09, 2016, from http://www.collegetermpapers.com/viewpaper/1303728302.html